This site displays examples of historic uniform and kit that were worn by Members of the North West Mounted Police (NWMP),
the Royal North West Mounted Police (RNWMP) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
Artefacts displayed on this site are held in various private collections.
This site is not affiliated with, nor sanctioned by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, or its wife.
All rights reserved. © 2010-2020 Ottawa CANADA
Regimental badges first appeared on uniforms of the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) as early as 1876, although they were not
commonplace until the turn of the 20th century.
The principal elements on the early badges can still be seen today – a buffalo or bison head facing frontwise; the motto (Maintiens
Le Droit); maple leaves; a riband with the name of the Force; and a crown at the top of the badge over the word CANADA.
The name of The Force changed from North-West Mounted Police to Royal Northwest Mounted Police in June 1904 and then to
Royal Canadian Mounted Police in February 1920. The crown on the badge has also changed from time to time to respect the wishes
of the reigning monarch. The St. Edward’s crown was adopted for use on NWMP badges, primarily those worn by officers. Through
the reigns of Edward VII to George VI (1903-52), the Tudor crown adorned Mounted Police badges. Upon the coronation of
Elizabeth II, the badge was redesigned to include the St. Edward’s crown again.
The precise reason why the bison head was chosen for the badge has never been determined. It is believed that a bull’s head was
first utilized because it was a feature on the crest of the Macleods of Dunvegan, the clan of Commissioner James F. Macleod.
Artistic license and the passage of time may have served to alter the image from that of a bull to a bison. This is entirely
appropriate because of the close association of the Mounted Police with the grasslands of the western prairies where Members
depended on the buffalo for food and clothing.
NORTH WEST MOUNTED POLICE
ROYAL NORTH WEST MOUNTED POLICE
ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE
UNIFORMS & EQUIPMENT
1953 - present
ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Gendarmerie du royale Canada
CLICK TO CONTACT US
DOMINION POLICE of CANADA
The Dominion Police was originally a small protective force organized by the federal government in 1868 to guard the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa
following the assassination of Thomas D'Arcy McGee. It also provided bodyguards for government leaders and operated an intelligence service whose
agents infiltrated the Fenian Brotherhood. Later the Dominion Police assumed responsibility for protecting naval dockyards at Halifax on the east coast
and Esquimalt (1911) on the West coast, the national fingerprint bureau (1911), the parole service and the enforcement of laws relating to
counterfeitingand white slavery. During WWI its duties were expanded to co-ordinate the efforts of police and security agencies in Canada to enforce
the provisions of the War Measures Act. On 1 February 1920 the Dominion Police was absorbed by the RCMP.
British Columbia Provincial Police
Alberta Provincial Police
Manitoba Provincial Police
PROVINCIAL POLICE BADGES
Police Services Absorbed by the RCMP
New Brunswick Provincial Police
Constable with helmet and helmet plate.
Officers forage cap badge.
Numbered pocket badge.
Forage cap badge.
Helmet plates - QVC (1868-1901) on the left and KC (1901-1920) on the right.
Discharge Certificate to pension of 9072 S/Sgt John Dominic O'Connell who served in the Dominion Police
from 1911 to 1920 and the RCMP from 1920 to 1946